Sunday, March 28, 2010

Last Child in the Woods



I read Richard Louv's "Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children From Nature Deficit Disorder" when it first came out, but I was reminded of it again today. After hiking on some local trails last weekend, Zoe and Zan wanted to return to the same place to finish a project they had already started. We hiked back to the same spot and for an hour, they happily collected branches, bark and moss to complete the shelter, discussing the pros and cons of construction strategies as they went along.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

nice work, zoe and zan! i'll have to put that book on my reading list. ivy and i used to build so many forts in the woods around our house. this post brought back those memories.

Jess said...

love this! I always liked to think about how I'd survive lost in the wilderness as a kid... still do =)

jk said...

Love this as well! So wonderful to see you all last weekend :) Looking forward to a Tuesday visit this summer... and the reunion of course. Esme can't wait to see Zoe again, in fact she said yesterday that she wanted to *be* Zoe! And Will can't wait to meet Zan again! Lots of fun will be had I'm sure... Love to all!

S/V Andante said...

We produced a video for the No Child Left Inside Coalition. They're pushing legislation that'll send federal funding to states to support environmental & outdoor education. It's all about getting 'em outside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRR1feHqZPY