I've been on a mission to make gluten-free pancakes that taste good! For my first attempt I used King Arthur's All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour and a pancake recipe on their website - thumbs down! My 2nd attempt was a recipe I found online at Elana's Pantry using almond flour. Mike and I liked them - they had a nice nutty flavor - but the kids were not impressed. As they say - the third try was a charm. I used a recipe passed on to me from a friend of a friend who is gluten intolerant. There are multiple steps, but the results were well worth the extra effort.
Step 1 - Make an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix with brown rice flour (the recipe actually calls for white rice flour, but I used brown instead), potato starch, tapioca flour and xanthum gum (the magic ingredient in gluten-free baking). I mixed up a large batch to store in the freezer.
Step 2 - Combine the all purpose gluten-free flour mix with other dry ingredients: sugar, baking powder and salt. The recipe did not list specific wet ingredients, so I added the wet ingredients in my regular pancake batter: 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons oil and 2 cups milk, which worked beautifully!
Step 3 - Cook on greased griddle. Gluten-free pancake pancakes do not bubble! Three minutes per side at a medium heat seems about right. After burning a few batches, a started setting my timer. It's difficult not to have the visual of bubbles, indicating that it is time to flip them!
Final product! We all love them! Success!
I've also found a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe that is pretty good - although I'm going to try tweaking it a bit.
2 comments:
you are so right, its ask about the bubbles! looks like you are getting into a grove here!!
They look wonderful!!!
Post a Comment