

Some milestones sneak up on you, like when your children gradually stop nursing and one day you realize it's over or when you it dawns on you that you're finished with diapers. It's hard NOT to notice other milestones, like the first day of school or losing a tooth.
I've never been that sentimental about their clothing or toys ...usually I'm eager to pack up the stuff that doesn't fit anymore or isn't being used and move it out! I have saved some things...both Zoe and Zan have a box of special things: some clothes, books, toys, art work, school papers, etc.
Once in a while I have a hard time letting something go. For example,
I still have a Baby Bjorn soft bib in a kitchen drawer. It hasn't been used in years...I just like knowing it is there. I guess that's the way it is with the pulk. I just liked having it (even though it takes up a ton of space in the garage). I guess the pulk represents a time when I could keep them warm, safe and protected, as well as close to me at all times! Getting rid of it means that our lives are changing....that they can stand (and ski) on their own two feet and that I'm not always there to keep them warm, safe and protected.
Never-the-less, I have "let go" of the pulk. Last week Zan and I went skiing with Annie and Ellie. Ellie rode in her "new" pulk. Zan, of course, didn't mind at all.
2 comments:
and to add an addendum: ELLIE LOVES IT and we are forever grateful for the passing of such a wonderful kid gadget our way, we love it MAHALO
and lets go again THAT WAS VERY FUN...good post by the way, nice writing...
***ps. i think the bib in the drawer makes you a sentimental person :) and i love that about you, the subtle sentimentality :)
This is all so true. I must say I can't wait to be done with the diapers (I have a ways to go...)! What a fun time you must have had cross country skiing. We haven't tried that with the kids yet, but could tomorrow with all the snow that's coming fown right now.
Post a Comment