Thursday, May 13, 2010

Growing Up is Hard to Do

Writing about your children when they are young and unable to read is easy, but it gets trickier as they get older and follow your blog. I tend to write more about Zan because he can't read, and I can sensor what I read aloud to him. When writing about Zoe I have to be sensitive to her feelings, yet at the same time there are so many things I want to record about her childhood and how she is changing so rapidly before my eyes.

Everyone can see the physical changes: she and I are the same shoe size and it won't be long before we are the same height (just five more inches). I've written about the struggles we have finding age appropriate, fashionable clothing, but it is more than that; the structure of her face is changing. I have a harder time seeing the little girl when I look at her, but I can easily see the teenager she will soon become.

I love this particular photo of Zoe. In case it's not clear, she's sitting on our swing set, reading (Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh). The photo illustrates how she "swings" back and forth so easily between a girl on the swings and and a "tween" trying to figure to find her way. Sometimes she is a ten year old who needs me talking, snuggling or help with homework. Other times she is a ten year old who doesn't want me to be involved with her fashion choices, hair styles, homework or problems with friends.


1 comment:

teamfunbaby said...

I love this picture and I love what you wrote! It is 1:15AM so I am tired but it got me all choked up thinking about seeing her girl face still...Ellie and I were looking at a pic I have of Zoe two years ago holding ellie and ellie had a hard time recognizing her because her face hads really changed...beautifully... amazing, and for me to read this is awesome, becuse I know one day I too will be looking at ellie thinking, where did your chubby little cheeks go? i am getting choked up again. maybe it is time to go to sleep, i hope zoe lets you blog about her because it is incredible...you know one thing you can do, just for you and zoe in the future is to have a blog that i snot published per se...a private one...or blocked to public viewing, like vicki did? just a thought if she would be more comfortable with that? I mean i woudl be sad I couldn't read it, :)of course that is ok because really it is for you and maybe for her one day...maybe that would be nice??