Today is the last day of school. Shortly, Zan will officially be a 1st grader and Zoe a fifth grader. Although I'm excited about summer vacation and all our fabulous plans (crazy three week road trip, days at the beach and pool, time on the Vineyard), I'm also feeling sad and nostalgic for a time that is ending. Since Zoe was born, ten years ago, I have devoted my days to caring for children. Sure, I've worked a little bit part-time, but essentially my time has been spent at home, caring for kids. The early days of babies, toddlers, nursing, crying, crawling, and diapers seems like a lifetime ago. During the last few years Zan and I have settled into an easy rhythm of him going to school for a few hours, coming home for lunch and spending time together until it's time to pick up Zoe. It seems like these years have been especially sweet or maybe it's that recently I have been acutely aware of how lucky I am...lunch together, afternoons spent sledding, skiing, reading books, hiking, swimming, picking berries, playing at the park or simply hanging out in the yard.
I don't know exactly what next year will look like...but today the sweetness is mixed with a bit of salty tears.
1 comment:
I am totally thinking of you, i can only imagine...i am so psyched for you you had these past ten years, and i think it is awesome you have been so present and full of gratitude. you and zan have had such a special time, i read this envisioning my view onto your sunporch the other day when i passed by, where all i saw where the two of your heads right next to each other, clearly reading...so sweet.
Post a Comment