Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Gluten Free Bread at Last!


Zan has been such a good sport about eliminating gluten from his diet that when he does make a request, I feel compelled to try to accommodate him.  For the last few weeks he has been asking me to try again to make bread that he can eat.  I tried a few different recipes, but had dismal results.   There are gluten-free breads available at the grocery store, but they are frozen and not very tasty.  Making adjustments to my cooking and baking has  been relatively easy - I don't even buy regular wheat flour anymore.  Instead I buy a combination of flours (brown rice, white rice, sorghum, millet, oat, tapioca, potato etc.), which I use to make an all-purpose blend that can be used in place of traditional wheat flour in most of my recipes.  I've conquered pancakes, brownies, muffins, cookies and even cakes, but bread and pizza dough have proven to be  a lot more difficult.  I found a recipe on-line at glutenfreemommy.com that looked promising and gave it a try, making a few adjustments due to slightly differently ingredients on hand.

1 1/3 cups brown rice flour

1/2 cup oat flour

3/4 cup millet flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

1 Tablespoon xanthan gum

3 eggs

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon active dry yeast plus 1 teaspoon white sugar

1 Tablespoon agave nectar

3 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 Tablespoons melted butter

1/4 cup plus 1 cup warm water

Bring all ingredients to room temperature.  Combine flours and xanthan gum in with paddle in stand mixer.  Grease 10 inch loaf pan and heat oven to 200 degrees.  Turn off oven after it reaches 200 degrees. Combine eggs, cider vinegar, agave nectar, brown sugar, salt and butter in separate bowl.  Combine yeast, sugar and 1/4 warm water and let sit for 5 minutes until it is bubbly.  First add egg mixture to flour mixture, then yeast mixture.  Slowly add the water until the dough reaches the right consistency (like stiff cake batter).  Beat dough on high in the mixer for 15 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  
Yum!  

No comments: