This post was a draft I started last month that I never got around to finishing until now. I didn't think it was going to show up as a recent post....A Christmas post seems a bit strange now....oh well.
This year I was constantly reminded of the traditions that we have created and how important they are to Zan and Zoe. Over the summer I was going through toys that I thought they had outgrown. One was a wooden ladder with wooden figures, which "climb" down the ladder and that was only brought out at Christmas time. Grandma had given to Zoe when she was very young. I suggested to Zan that maybe it was time to pass it along, as we've already done with so many toys, but he was horrified, "NO WAY! Mom." Sure enough, when it was time to bring up all the Christmas decorations up came the wooden ladder, which they still play with.
This year I was constantly reminded of the traditions that we have created and how important they are to Zan and Zoe. Over the summer I was going through toys that I thought they had outgrown. One was a wooden ladder with wooden figures, which "climb" down the ladder and that was only brought out at Christmas time. Grandma had given to Zoe when she was very young. I suggested to Zan that maybe it was time to pass it along, as we've already done with so many toys, but he was horrified, "NO WAY! Mom." Sure enough, when it was time to bring up all the Christmas decorations up came the wooden ladder, which they still play with.
Another one of our traditions is tagging our tree in October, usually around Halloween. A week or two before Christmas we go back, cut the tree down and bring it home to decorate. I loved listening to Zoe and Zan discuss all the ornaments as we decorated the tree, identifying their favorites, remembering special ornaments given to them by Mimi based on their favorite activities or interests and laughing about funny ones they had made in the not so distant past.
Up until this year one of our traditions was reading Christmas books from a huge collection of books that I've been gathering since before Zoe was born. Unfortunately I think that the books got donated in the midst of one of my big basement clean outs - one of the hazards of not being a saver! We made due by borrowing some from the library. I checked bookstores, but they didn't have many of our favorites. I'll have to work on trying to recreate the collection over the coming year.
Of course, there are Christmas cookies....
....always a favorite - Peanut Butter Blossoms, which apparently taste better shirtless!
On Christmas Eve the kids get to open two present ( a tradition we borrowed from Deidre and her family), but the presents are always the same....a new book and new pajamas.
Up until this year one of our traditions was reading Christmas books from a huge collection of books that I've been gathering since before Zoe was born. Unfortunately I think that the books got donated in the midst of one of my big basement clean outs - one of the hazards of not being a saver! We made due by borrowing some from the library. I checked bookstores, but they didn't have many of our favorites. I'll have to work on trying to recreate the collection over the coming year.
Of course, there are Christmas cookies....
....always a favorite - Peanut Butter Blossoms, which apparently taste better shirtless!
On Christmas Eve the kids get to open two present ( a tradition we borrowed from Deidre and her family), but the presents are always the same....a new book and new pajamas.
1 comment:
I love this tradition post:) love the book and pj thing.
i too have been collecting holiday books, i love them!
zoe looks beautiful.
and the cookies look delicious...i already miss christmas cookies:) AND another traditon of yours: the granola! man that is good granola...yum! share the recipe:) hee hee.
anyway love it...great shots too...your camera is dreamy.
Post a Comment