Friday, January 28, 2011

A Last Look Before Construction Begins....


For years the school board has been working toward closing, replacing and/or renovating several elementary schools in town.   It has been a long and difficult process, drawing both opposition and support from many, with the final decision being that three new school buildings would be built, requiring the demolition of two schools.  Our school is one that will be replaced with a new building.   

This morning when I dropped the kids off at school, there were  construction trailers on site! Soon  a huge fence will go  up in front of the current building while construction on the new building begins.  Once the new building is complete, the old structure will be razed.  As much as I love, value and appreciate any old building, I believe that in this case,  the time has come - the buildings  no longer meet current standards or needs.  In addition, the cost of renovating far outweighs the cost of new construction. The new schools will be safe, accessible to everyone, have enough space for all students to learn comfortably and be environmentally friendly. 

It is bittersweet though.  I  love the look of the current building and the expansive lawn (site of many school picnics).  Just look at that gorgeous cupola!  Zoe has spent all of her elementary years in this building and Zan, when all is said and done, will have attended for one year of preschool, kindergarten, first grade and second grade.  
   

No comments: