It's funny how when I watch one of Zan's hockey games, how quickly I forget how little they are...They look so much bigger than they really are - with all that gear on! For six year olds they skate very well, handle the puck and in many ways act just like the big boys, until things get tough, that is!
Yesterday Zan was goalie. It was his second time as goalie in a game. His team (green team) played the blue team. The first period went well - the green team was only down by one, but the second period was rough. All the action was in front of his net. The blue team scored time after time, while the green team didn't score at all.
At the end of the period, when they switched sides, I watched Zan skate toward the bench toward Mike, who is one of the assistant coaches. All the other kids got in their positions, while Zan talked to Mike. Mike shook his head. Zan shook his head. I couldn't see them, but I could picture the tears. They started running the clock. Finally Zan turned around and skated toward the net. The crowd applauded. Zan turned around and skated back toward the bench. More talking and he skated back to the net. This time the crowd was silent. It was so hard to watch, imagining how he was feeling, wanting to make the pain go away....
I was proud of his reaction and attitude after the game. He seemed to put it behind him... he wasn't upset....it was just a game! In the local paper this morning in regards to the game: "Zan ---- was stellar in net."
I was proud of his reaction and attitude after the game. He seemed to put it behind him... he wasn't upset....it was just a game! In the local paper this morning in regards to the game: "Zan ---- was stellar in net."
2 comments:
hi...way to g o zan making the paper...he is famous~:)
i dont really get the story of why it was hard to watch...what happened when he talked to the coach? why were they shaking their heads...ahhh, inquiring minds want to know...i know zero about hockey and so I guess that makes sense in my "sports page" reading:) LOVE THAT YOU ARE BLOGGIN
I remember a similar thing with Josh on the pitcher's mound. He looked so little and alone out there in that high pressure position. And he too would have days when every batter was getting runs. It's part of watching them grow up and figure out how to deal with what life throws at you. The growth and grace is in how he handled it and sounds like he did great!
Go Zan!
Sports tip: Zan's job as goalie was to keep the other team from scoring. It was his team's job to keep they away from the net where they could score. Sounds like his team was just outmatched with the opponents playing in front of their net for most of the game and getting lots of tries at scoring.
Post a Comment