Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Power of Advertising

Since we don't have cable we only get two channels:  a local ABC affiliate (which seems to only run Extreme Home Makeover and Dancing with the Stars) and a fairly fuzzy PBS station.  We're not completely TV free - the kids watch the fuzzy PBS station sometimes and we borrow videos from the library.   
 It is amazing how quickly they recognize stores, brands, etc. I know that both Zoe and Zan, at a very early age, could identify Target as the "red" store and Home Depot as the "orange" store.  We don't eat fast food, but Zan, who has never eaten there, can identify an "Old MacDonald's," as he calls it.  Nevertheless, I was under the illusion that we were shielding them from at least some of the marketing influence of television.
My illusion came crashing down the other day at the grocery store.  Falling prey to advertising myself, I noticed a new product that I had never purchased before AND it was on sale, so I tossed it in the cart.  Zan picked it up and looked at, announcing, "Oh, Olivia's Organic Salad!"  For a split second I thought, when did he learn to read?  How does he know how decode multisyllabic words?   When I questioned him, he said, "Yeah, Olivia's Organic Salad is  on after Sesame Street."  I guess it could be worse...at least PBS is peddling organic salad instead of Twinkies.  

1 comment:

teamfunbaby said...

awesome post, well written.
also zan and his name recognition is also a fairly honed in skill of his, eh?