Friday, June 19, 2009

Strawberries!

Berry season has arrived...the time of year when I spend an obscene amount of money on fresh fruit at local farms.  Zan, Charlotte and I picked strawberries Wednesday morning (the only dry/sunny day we've had this week)!  

I made this  yummy Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie:

1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups rhubarb (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon butter (I forgot to add the butter, but didn't notice its absence)
Pastry for double pie crust

In large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg.  Add the rhubarb and strawberries pieces, tossing gently to coat fruit.  Let stand for 15 minutes while preparing and rolling out pastry.  Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour.  



2 comments:

Melissa said...

thanks for sharing the recipe! i'm hoping to go pick some very soon and will give this recipe a try.

jk said...

Yum!! I've been waiting and waiting for strawberry season too!!